Where should I buy my car from?

Diskutiere Where should I buy my car from? im Kaufberatung Forum im Bereich Allgemeines; Hello everyone! I'm writing this post in English because I'm not a German and I don't know the language (I'm using Google Translate to be able to...

1. watt

watt Neuling

Hello everyone! I'm writing this post in English because I'm not a German and I don't know the language (I'm using Google Translate to be able to post here:rotwerden:), sorry for that. However, I registered hoping that someone is kind enough and can help me with some advice.

I am from Romania and I am looking forward to buying a Ford Focus MK1 1.6 Zetec, Euro4, the facelift model (the younger, the better). From what I read, it's a very reliable car (if maintained properly).

The thing is, I want to buy the car from Germany, as I know that you care about cars, maintain & service them regularly, have great roads & highways, good mechanics etc. Now, what is the city I should come to for that? I assume that as larger the city, as more auto houses exist there, but I was hoping you can give me a hint where to find lots of cars that I can choose from.

For instance, I have a chance to visit Göttingen, Mannheim, Braunschweig next months, are these the places where one would want to look for used cars? Or should I start looking in Munich, Nuremberg, Frankfurt, Stuttgart etc?

What is the city you would recommend me to come for buying a second hand car? Or it doesn't really matter?

I am kindly waiting for any recommendation from you. Thanks a lot!

Regards,
    Alex

PS: in case you have advice for me, such as what to be careful about, where not to buy from etc, it would be more than welcome!

2. #2 MucCowboy, 24.05.2013
    MucCowboy

MucCowboy Fahrer mit Hut :-)

Fahrzeug:
    Mondeo MK4 2008 2,0 HE + Focus MK1 2000 1,6
    Hello,

the city doesn't really matter for that. But if you already know what model you want to buy, let's say: the bigger the city is the faster you find what you are looking for.

The only big differences are between commercial car dealers and private sold cars. Cars by dealers are commonly a little bit more expensive, but you have a relativly high standard in technical care of it and the national customer rights regarding failures and errors by the dealer. Privately sold cars are mostly cheaper, but in any case individual. Some are very good business, others might be pure failures.

In this forum you get no advice where NOT to buy, because that is forbidden by law to call someone specificially negative without official testimony of that.

3. watt

watt Neuling

Okay MucCowboy, thanks for your response! So I get that the city doesn't really matter. I'll probably go to that area specified in my previous post or somewhere in the North-West (as there are many cities there and I know that it's quite a rich area - therefore, higher chances to get a well maintained car).

Thanks again! And any other opinion is welcome.

Regards

4. #4 Meikel_K, 25.05.2013
    Meikel_K

Meikel_K Forum Profi

Fahrzeug:
    Focus 2015 Trend Turnier 1.0 EB / 92 kW
    Below sites may provide a local market overview:
    autoscout24.de (higher share of private vendors)
    mobile.de (higher share of dealer offers)
    autobild.de

You can filter for regions around any city. That should give you a certain feeling for the market if you follow it up for a while. Locations around Ford sites such as primarily the Cologne / Düsseldorf region and (to a smaller extent) Saarlouis may exhibit a higher Ford market share and hence a larger choice.

Dealers may be quite reluctant to offer cars of an age of 9 years and beyond due to the related warranty costs, so the offers may predominantly come from private vendors. On the other hand: in your case the risk is similar, since it might be quite difficult for you to claim a warranty repair remotely from Romania later on.

5. MoSo

MoSo Forum Profi
    Administrator

Fahrzeug:
    Cougar V6 / Focus II (FL) Turnier
    i quite agree. in general, north rhine-westphalia is one of the best places to find a used ford.

6. watt

watt Neuling

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer my question guys, I really appreciate it!

Seems like I know where I want to start my search now. I will, however, keep an eye on mobile.de and autoscout, I even bookmarked my searches there.

From what I saw, I have the chance to get a pretty decent car with ~2500-3000 euros with less than 200.000 km, so I hope I won't face any problems there.

7. #7 Meikel_K, 26.05.2013
    Meikel_K

Meikel_K Forum Profi

Fahrzeug:
    Focus 2015 Trend Turnier 1.0 EB / 92 kW
    Sounds like a realistic target, this should be feasible.

If you consider a 3-dr or 5-dr hatchback it is even more likely to find a car in decent shape in this range with not too high mileage. A hatchback (or a rather rare 4-dr sedan) might have been preowned by elderly drivers, hence usually is in good service condition.

The wagons are typically family cars, usually a bit more expensive and have mostly done more mileage. Also are the rear trailing arm bushes more prone to wear on the wagons.

8. watt

watt Neuling

Yep. I'm after a 5 door hatchback, but I won't say no to a 3 door car either, as long as it's in good shape. Moreover, the latter is cheaper, so that's even better.

Indeed, wagons seem a bit more expensive, not to mention that their back is quite ugly, heh.

9. watt

watt Neuling

I have another question, as I can't find the answer after searching on Google. How much does a temporary registration plate cost there? I know these can be available for 15, 30 or 90 days, but I'd like to know the approximate price for a 15 days plate. I heard that prices can range from 150 to 300 euros, depending on the area, but I can't find any official info on this. Also are there many taxes I have to pay in order to bring the car home (except the TUV, which most of the cars that are sold have one)?

If you have a link with these details, it would be great so I won't take up too much of your time. Thanks a lot!

Thema:

Where should I buy my car from?

Die Seite wird geladen...

Where should I buy my car from? - Ähnliche Themen

1. In defense of the electric car–part 1

In defense of the electric car–part 1: Hier In defense of the electric car–part 1 läuft seit kurzem eine sehr, sehr interessante Diskussion zum Thema Elektromobile und deren Aussichten....
  2. Biete I-sotec I-soamp 4CX-S, 4-Kanal plug&play Endstufe Verstärker Ford Focus und weitere Modelle

I-sotec I-soamp 4CX-S, 4-Kanal plug&play Endstufe Verstärker Ford Focus und weitere Modelle: Hallo nochmal, ein weiterer Artikel aus meinem Focus MK3 Turnier den ich nach Fahrzeugwechsel nicht mehr benötige. Alles Informationen der...
  3. KA 1 (Bj. 96-08) RBT Ford Ka I Blinker/Warnbinkanlage defekt

Ford Ka I Blinker/Warnbinkanlage defekt: Liebe Community, seit einigen Tagen funktionieren Blinker und Warnblinkanlage an unserem Ford, Ka I (RBT/CCQ), 1.3 I nicht mehr. Wir hatten die...
  4. Biete Hunde-Kofferraum Trenngitter für Ford Kuga I

Biete Hunde-Kofferraum Trenngitter für Ford Kuga I: Biete ein neuwertiges Travall Hunde-Trenngitter für den Ford Kuga I Das Gitter wurde von mir im Herbst montiert und ist neuwertig. Verkauft wird...
  5. Suche Klimakompressor f. MK I; 1.6 DAW, BJ2000

Klimakompressor f. MK I; 1.6 DAW, BJ2000: Hallo, mein Klimakompressor ist nach 16 jahren (schon letztes Jahr) dann doch mal kaput gegangen. Kann mir jemand so etwas anbieten oder mir...